Applying mulch around your house landscape beds, around your trees, and throughout your flower gardens provides a neat, clean, eye-pleasing appearance to your landscape and also helps hold moisture in the ground and around the plants. The following are 7 tips for your consideration that can save you some time and anguish:
1. Buying Inorganic Mulch (man-made mulch) – This a ground covering product called mulch, but is really some other unnatural type of material: plastic, rubber, or other synthetic products. Make sure you know what you are buying.
2. Buying Organic Mulch – This is a natural ground cover product that breaks down over time and works into your soils, making them richer. Organic examples include wood bark & chips, fine needles, peat moss, processed wood pallets.
3. Let your nose be your guide – Scoop up a hand full of the mulch and see how it smells. Is the odor too strong for placement around your home or does it have a sour smell? Do not buy sour-smelling Mulch.
4. Is the mulch animal friendly? – During the processing of the mulch some added chemicals, coloring dies, or other agents that could cause harm to your family or pets if digested. Check out the chemicals.
5. Previously mulched surfaces – If you are applying new mulch over last year’s existing mulch, take time to break it up with a rake or cultivator and work it into the ground.
6. Before applying the Mulch – Take an environmentally friendly “home defense pest spray” which is safe around humans and animals and spray around the foundation of your house to add a protective barrier against ants, termites and other insects.
7. Spreading the Mulch – Several tips:
• For best results, spread in the early spring (not on frozen ground)
• If there has been no rain and the ground is dry, water the area
• Feed your plants before spreading the mulch
• Save your time and energy by getting down on your knees and spreading it with your hands (gloves needed) evenly around the plants, about 3” inches thick, but not up against the plants neck. Smooth the surface out with your hands.
Swan Creek Landscaping, Inc. helps homeowners and businesses in Cecil and Harford Counties with all of their flowering, mulching and spring clean-up needs, with helpful hints and tips. From design, to construction, to maintaining your property year round, we will provide you with a landscaping experience that will exceed your expectations. When considering your Landscape, Hardscape or Lawn Maintenance needs, please give us a call for a free consultation on how we can turn your visions and our experience into an outdoor living experience you and your family will appreciate.
Phone – 410.378.8668